Learn about the best three ways to apply for a Canadian temporary resident permit.
If you are not eligible to visit Canada, you must apply for a temporary resident permit. Are you an international student who wants to study in Canada? Have you, on countless occasions, rejected a high-paying job in Canada? Apply for a Canadian temporary resident permit now. Learn how to apply for a Canadian temporary resident permit. It is your only ticket to Canada despite your inadmissibility status for a Canadian visa.
Do you know that you can visit Canada with a Canadian temporary permit?. Even your ineligibility status for visa requirements cannot stop you from entering Canada anymore? As long as you have compelling reasons such as visiting a family or friend, taking up a new job offer, studying in Canada, etc. Fortunately, these reasons will become your trump cards to obtaining a Canadian temporary president permit. Please read on as we reveal relevant information on the best ways to obtain a Canadian temporary resident visa.
About Canadian Temporary Resident Permit
If you wish to visit Canada, it is very much possible with the right type of visa. However, if you are inadmissible or ordinarily do not meet the requirements for a visa due to medical histories or criminal records, don’t worry; if you apply for a Canadian temporary resident permit, you will have a chance to visit Canada.
In the simplest term, a Canadian temporary resident permit is a document that grants foreign nationals who, in the opinion of an immigration officer, are legally qualified for a visa, a single or multiple entries into Canada. Their inadmissibility may be due to their medical conditions or criminal records.
In other words, this type of permit will allow you to visit for single entries and multiple entries. You can stay in Canada for a short period of six months to three years.
In addition to that, The Canadian Government gives you this opportunity on the conditions that you will have a compelling reason for visiting Canada, such as business, work, study, and tourism visiting Canada. Again, the approval of the application for this permit is dependent on the immigration officer. After he has considered some eligibility requirements, we shall look at them soon. Then you will be good to go.
For this article, we shall consider the best three ways that will help you obtain a temporary resident permit. You will learn about the eligibility criteria, application requirements, and procedure. Please read on to find other related information you will need for a Canadian temporary resident permit.
Eligibility Criteria for a Canadian Temporary Resident Permit
For you to apply for a Canadian temporary resident visa, it means that you are a non-citizen of Canada who is legally not qualified for a regular Canadian visa due to some medical histories, human rights, security, financial reasons, criminality records, etc. That is why you will have to opt for a temporary resident permit.
Hence, to apply for a temporary resident permit, you will have to fulfill these few eligibility criteria to qualify for a Canadian temporary resident permit.
- First, you must have a valid reason to enter or stay in Canada and meet all other requirements set by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and regulations made under that Act.
- Some reasons that may qualify you for the permit include medical reasons, humanitarian reasons, or you have significant ties to Canada.
- In addition, you must present proof that will demonstrate that you will be willing to leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay. Permits are typically issued for a specific purpose and duration, so it is important that the applicant can provide evidence that they will not overstay their welcome.
It is important to note that meeting the eligibility criteria does not guarantee getting a temporary resident permit. The final decision is made by an officer with IRCC, who will assess the application based on all of the available information, such as
- Having a valid passport or travel document,
- Sufficient funds to support themselves while in Canada,
- And a police clearance certificate to prove that you have no criminal record.
- The officer will have to confirm your reason for the application if it is compelling enough.
- Also, the officer will have to confirm if your application into Canada will pose an s risk to Canadians or Canadian society.
Nevertheless, there are some exemptions to the eligibility requirements of this permit. For instance, if you are a national from one of the countries that participate in the Visa Waiver Program, you may be able to travel to Canada without a visa. Similarly, if you are traveling with your Canadian spouse or children, you may not need this permit.
Best Three (3) Canadian Temporary Resident Permit Application Procedures
We understand you have several reasons why you must visit Canada, such as work arrangements, studies, visiting or tourism, etc. Whatever reason you have. Suppose you are not qualified for a resident visa. You will need to apply for a Canadian temporary resident permit.
The application processes are not a daunting task. Fortunately, this article will teach you the best three ways to apply for a Canadian Temporary Resident Permit (TRP). This is because we have outlined detailed ways to visit Canada through a temporary residency permit and even narrowed each means to their application procedures.
Hence, knowing which will work best for you is important. Also, it will increase your chances of obtaining a Canadian temporary resident permit. Thus, here are the three best ways to get a Canadian temporary resident permit
- Get a Canadian Study Permit
- Get a Canadian Work Permit
- Visit Canada for Tourism
#1 Get a Canadian Study Permit: The Easiest Way to Stay in Canada
A study permit is one of the most popular options for students to study in Canada. This program has several advantages. They include access to some of the best schools in the world and opportunities to learn a new language. Additionally, Canada is a welcoming country with a diverse population. This means that students will have plenty of opportunities to get to know people worldwide.
A Canadian study permit is given to international students who are visiting Canada to Study or further their Studies at designated learning institutions (DLIs) in Canada. Therefore, one who is inadmissible or eligible to enter Canada can do with the issuance of a Canadian temporary resident permit to enable them to achieve this purpose.
Most importantly, the studies permit is used to grant you entry to study in Canada. It is in no way a substitute for a visa. It doesn’t make you a legal resident of Canada. Thus, you will have to exit the country immediately after your permit validity of six months to three years expires. If you wish to stay longer than required, you will need to apply for a resident visa or visitor’s visa is valid for ten years.
As an international student aiming to study in Canada, you must first be eligible for a Canadian Study permit; hence, you must meet certain requirements.
Eligibility Criteria for a Canadian Study Permit
First and foremost, it is essential to note that not everyone is eligible for a study permit. For example, you qualify for a Canadian study permit if:
- As a foreign national with proof of residency in a foreign country
- You must be more than 18 years of age.
- If you are under 18 years old, your parents or guardian must provide written consent allowing you to study in Canada.
- You have a valid passport or travel documents. This serves as your identification.
- The most important criterion is that a designated learning institution must have accepted you before you can apply for a study permit. You can choose any institution from any of these Designated Learning Institution lists if you are yet to make your choice.
- To be accepted to any Canadian Designated Learning Institution (DLI). You must have an academic background that is equivalent to the level of education offered by Canadian schools. Be sure to include any relevant information about your academic background or work experience.
- Meeting the language test requirements will vary depending on the institution listed on your permit.
- Proof of Financial resources: This demonstrates that you have sufficient funds to cover tuition and your living expenses. The amount of money you will need depends on the length of the program and the province or territory in which you will be studying.
- You must also satisfy certain health and security requirements, including passing a medical exam if required, as well as other requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA)
- Finally, you must have clean criminal records and no ties to terrorist organizations.
Requirements for a Canadian Study Permit Application (documents)
To get a study permit, you must provide certain documents. These documents include:
- A letter of acceptance from a recognized Designated Learning Institution (DLI ). This is the document you will receive from your school. It is usually required as proof of acceptance. From the listed institution on your permit. Your school’s letter of acceptance must include the following information:
- Your name and date of birth
- The name and address of your school
- The start and end dates of your program
- The name of your program
- The level (undergraduate or graduate) of your program
Provide a Letter of Explanation:
The best way to obtain a Canadian study permit is by providing a convincing letter to the visa officer. This letter should outline:
- Your reasons for wanting to study in Canada
- Understood your responsibilities as a study permit holder.
- Your academic and professional achievements, as well as your plans for the future. (If you are required
- When your student visa expires, you must prove to a representative that you will leave Canada.
- When your student visa expires, you must prove to a representative that you will leave Canada.
- Your letter should be well-written and concise.
Proof of Identity
A valid passport is one of the requirements when applying for a Canadian study permit. To save yourself the cost of your study permit denial, you must get a valid passport or travel documents handy. This document proves your identity and nationality. It’s important to have a valid passport if you wish to travel to Canada. In addition, your passport must be up-to-date and have at least six months of validity left from the date of your planned departure from Canada.
Similarly, you must provide two recent passport-style photographs of yourself. The photograph must be recent, meaning it was taken within the last six months. In addition, your name and date of birth must be written on the back of each photo.
You may want to bring more than two photos with you to your application appointment in case your original photos are not accepted. It is also a good idea to bring a photocopy of your passport identity page and any other travel documents you have
Proof of Financial resources or bank statements
You can provide bank statements as proof of financial resources, or you can provide a letter from your bank confirming that you have enough money in savings or investments to cover your costs for the duration of your program.
Age declaration Certificate (for minors)
If you are under 18 years old, your parents or guardian must provide written consent allowing you to study in Canada. Also, a copy of your birth certificate will be required.
Police clearance certificate(s)
This is needed to verify verifies that you have no criminal record and are not a security threat. Also, it must be from the country you have lived in for six months or more in the past five years.
Medical Insurance Certificate
This document is to satisfy certain health and security requirements, including passing a medical exam if required, as well as other requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA)
- When your student permit expires, you must prove to a representative that you will leave Canada.
- The Canadian immigration officials may also request additional documents such as transcripts or language test results. Make sure to have these ready if asked for them.
Step-by-Step Application Procedures for a Canadian Study Permit
Getting a study permit is fairly straightforward. You can apply online or by mail. You’ll need to provide some basic information, including your passport details and your education history. You’ll also need to pay a fee for the permit. However, by following these simple step-by-step instructions, you can make the process as smooth as possible.
Find out if you are eligible for a study permit.
Make sure you meet the eligibility requirements, including the ones we listed earlier. If you are still not sure, you may want to look at them again.
Gather the required documents:
After you have confirmed your eligibility status. the next thing is to have all the necessary documents ready before you start the application process. for your Canadian temporary resident permit. The necessary documents may include proof of acceptance, proof of identity and proof of funds, medical certificate, etc.
Complete the application form:
When you are ready to apply for your study permit, you will need to complete an application form. You can complete the application form online. Make sure to fill out all the required space. Answer the questions correctly. Don’t forget to add your name and signature at the end. After you are done completing the application, submit the form with the soft copies of the required document, then save a copy before you print it out.
Send in your application:
When you are sure that you have completed the application form, be sure to look at the application form one more time just in case you forgot to include all supporting documents. Then submit the completed application form and wait for the processing stage.
Pay the application fee:
The cost of a study permit is CAD 150, and it is valid for up to five years. Fees vary depending on the length of your program and the location of the school. So be sure to check the current fee schedule before submitting your application.
Have a medical exam (if required)
Make sure you go to a doctor who is certified by the Canadian government.
Wait for a decision on your application:
Processing times vary depending on your country of origin, but generally, applications take between six and eight weeks to process, so it is important to start the process early.
Arrive in Canada and start your studies:
Once your application is approved, you will be issued a letter of introduction which you will need to show at the port of entry when you arrive in Canada. Canada is a great place to study, and with the right preparation, you can make the most of your time here.
While You are Studying:
- You can only study in an accredited designated learning institution listed on your study permit.
- With a valid study permit, it is important to make progress towards completing your program and respect any conditions listed on your permit.
- While studying, you are not allowed to work unless authorized.
- However, if you no longer meet the requirements of your study permit, you must stop studying and leave Canada. For example, if your study permit lists that you must be enrolled in a full-time program, you must cease all studies if you drop below full-time status.
- If you are caught violating the conditions of your study permit, you may face the consequences such as being banned from re-entering Canada for a certain period and having to leave Canada immediately. If you don’t follow the rules, your school or immigration authorities can take action against you, including canceling your study permit.
- The specific date you must leave Canada is listed on your study permit.
It is therefore important to be aware of the conditions of your study permit and abide by them at all times.
#2 Get a Canadian Work Permit:
Some people may find themselves in a situation where they need to enter Canada for woodwork-related opportunities but are unable to do so because of their inadmissibility. And this is why you need a Canadian temporary resident permit.
We mentioned earlier that you must have a compelling reason why you want to visit Canada. And as regards that, we will be looking at how getting a work permit is another way to obtain a Canadian temporary resident permit.
Hence a work permit is a document that allows a foreign national to work in Canada for a specific employer and a specific period.
There are different types of work permits, depending on the type of work that you will be doing in Canada. they include
- The Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP)
This is a Canadian work permit program that allows employers to hire foreign nationals like you to fill Short-term employment shortages.
- Open work permit:
It is the most common type of work permit with an open work permit; you can work for any employer in Canada.
To get an open work permit, you must meet certain eligibility requirements. You must have a job offer from a Canadian employer, and the job offer must be in a skilled occupation. You must also meet the required language skills and education levels for the job offer.
Requirements for a Canadian Work Permit
You are qualified for a Canadian work permit visa when you meet the following requirements.
- You must meet eligibility requirements that must be met for a work permit visa, including having a valid passport, meeting the educational and experience requirements for the position, and passing a medical examination.
- Proof of a job offers from a Canadian employer.
- Your job offer must meet the requirements of the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
- If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of a country that is visa exempt, you will need to apply for a temporary resident visa before you can apply for a work permit visa.
- The work permit visa is valid for a specific job, employer, and location and cannot be transferred to another employer or location.
- It is important to note that work permit visas are not always easy to obtain and can take several months to process.
- Providing proof of invitation to a meeting, conference, or workshop is also required.
Application Procedures for a Canada Work Permit
The process of applying for a Canadian work permit visa can seem daunting at first, but with the right information, it can be a relatively easy process. The most important thing to remember is that you must have a job offer from a Canadian employer to apply. Once you have your job offer, your employer will need to complete a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to prove that there is no Canadian citizen or permanent resident available to do the job.
Once you have your LMIA, you can begin the application process. You will need to provide evidence of your education and work experience, as well as proof of your ties to your home country. You will also need to undergo a medical exam and obtain police clearance certificates from every country you have lived in for more than six months in the past five years.
Please check out our Ultimate Guide to Canadian Work permit 2022 for more information on how you can use a Canadian work permit to obtain a temporary resident permit,
#3 Visit Canada with a Visitor’s Permit:
People often visit other countries for a myriad of reasons: to sightsee, take in the local culture, or escape their own country’s winter. Hence, Canada, in this case, is no exception.
However, this is a factor have led to an increase in tourism over the past few years, with people from all over the world coming to visit Canada.
The Canadian government has responded by making it easier for people from other countries to visit Canada on a tourist visa. Normally, you can apply for a visitor’s permit from your home country by applying online or in a hard copy version.
Requirements for a Canada Visitor’s Permit Application (documents)
To apply for a visitor’s visa to Canada, you have to meet the following requirements.
- You must have a valid passport.
- Proof of medical status/ certificate
- You must have a police clearance certificate.
- You must acknowledge to the necessary bodies that you must adhere to the principle thus to visit Canada and vacate before the expiry date of your visa.
- You must have financial proof of funds sufficient enough to survive in Canada and as well as to return to your country when the time is due.
- You will need to present a letter of invitation. If you are visiting family or friends,
- You will be expected to supply the information of your family residing in Canada.
- If you have previous entries, you will be expected to provide their travel history.
How to Apply for a Canadian Visitor’s Permit
If you want to visit Canada, you will need to complete an application form and provide supporting documents. You can download the application from the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.
In addition, don’t forget to provide your name, date of birth, passport information, and the purpose of your visit. You may also need to provide evidence of funds available to support yourself during your stay in Canada.
It would be nice if you included a letter of invitation from someone in Canada who can vouch for your visit. This person should be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and should include their name, address, and telephone number. If you are visiting family or friends in Canada, you may also need to provide proof of your relationship.
After submitting your application, then wait for a response from Citizenship and Immigration Canada before you go for passport stamping and then to Canada.
How Can I Apply for a Canadian temporary permit Online?
To apply for a Canadian temporary resident permit. Follow the procedures below to apply for a Canadian temporary resident permit.
- First, verify if you are eligible to obtain a Temporary Resident Visa for Canada.
- Visit the Government of Canada website to the Immigration tab. On the page, click on the link On the survey page. You are supplying a sincere response to the questions and also choose the purpose of your visit. This is because your response on the survey page will justify if you need a TRV or eTA.
- Thus, you may choose to apply online or in person. Nevertheless, it might save you from stress if you apply online.
- After answering a few questions on the survey page, “Determine your eligibility and apply online,” a reference code will give to you as well as a checklist of what you have to do to apply.
- Furthermore, save your reference code and create an account on the Government of Canada website.
- After the submission of the application, you have to wait for five days for your account to show up.
- Next step, you need to submit your passport for stamping and processing.
Note: the consulate will notify you on where to mail your passport for stamping as well as mail it back to you, and you will have to pay a return fee after the stamp.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where Can I Apply for a Canadian Temporary Resident permit?
You can apply:
- Online application;
- Application in person at any Canada Embassy or consulate near you
How Much Does It Cost to Apply for a Canadian Temporary Resident Permit?
There is no set fee for applying for a Temporary Resident Permit. However, the cost can vary depending on the reasons for which you need the permit. Generally, however, you can expect to pay around 200 Canadian dollars (CAD) per person for the application process.
If your case requires a review by an immigration officer, you may also have to pay an additional processing fee.
How Long Can a Temporary Resident Permit Be Valid?
Generally, it is valid for six months. As such, it is important to ensure that your reason for requiring a permit is justified. Also, you plan to leave Canada at the end of the permit’s validity.
Can I Renew My Temporary Resident Permit?
Unfortunately, you can’t renew your Canadian resident permit while you are still in Canada when it expires. You will have to exit the country before you re-apply for a new one.
Are Temporary Resident Permit Different from Temporary resident Visa?
So, in general, temporary resident visas and permits are very similar and also different documents. However, there can be some small differences between them. This depends on the country and the specific situation or purpose of the application.
A temporary resident visa (TRV) allows you to enter Canada after you have legally fulfilled the requirements. It is a visa entry.
- A temporary resident permit (TRP). On the other hand, it is a document that allows someone inadmissible to Canada on a short-term basis. It can be for a specific reason, such as a medical emergency.
- However, both are temporary resident visas. The permits allow people to stay in Canada for short periods.
- The immigration authorities will have to decide if you can use both for either single or multiple entries.
A temporary resident permit is valid for six months to three years if extended. You cannot renew a resident permit. You will have to exit the country before you can re-apply for a new one. At the same time, a temporary resident visa is valid for up to ten years.
Canadian temporary resident permit is not out of reach for those who meet the requirements. We believe, with our guide and all the necessary information provided, you will be able to attain a temporary. Also, by following the application process closely, you can make your dream trip to Canada a reality.