Let’s explore our simplified steps on how Canadian Citizens can get a US Citizenship!
Are you seeking to know how to become a US citizen from Canada? Explore this article to know it all.
It is without a doubt that US citizenship is sought-after by Canadians in all of its provinces and territories. Most Canadians want to become US citizens without losing their citizenship status in Canada.
Up to 0.33% of the US population are Canadian Americans. This signifies that 1,062,640 people out of the USA population are Canadian citizens who possess American citizenship at the same time.
The majority of Canadian Americans live in US cities like Charlotte, Boston, Portland – Maine, New York City, Texas, Washington, D.C., Concord, Hartford, Philadelphia, Orlando, Atlanta, etc.
Since the USA has a drivable distance from Canada, many Canadians seek its citizenship to gain free entry to the US in a legal manner. Their citizenship also qualifies them for government jobs.
In this article, you’ll be able to learn how to become a US citizen from Canada, including getting citizenship through nationalization, dual-citizenship, and more.
Who is a US Citizen?
A citizen of the United States of America is a person who possesses a birth certificate from one of its states.
Even if you weren’t born in the USA but have a US citizen among your parents, you may qualify to apply for your citizenship since your parent(s) registered your birth with the embassy, consulate general or consulate of the US in Canada.
You’re also eligible for US citizenship in a situation where you were born in a United States territory and hold its birth certificate. If you don’t have a birth certificate of the territory, you can use some other documents to facilitate your citizenship application.
Why become a US citizen of Canada?
There are numerous reasons to justify Canadians applying to become US citizens from Canada. Some of these reasons include that:-
- The United States of America does not deport its citizens regardless of the situation.
- Your children will also become citizens of the US.
- As a US citizen, you can file a petition for the government to fast track the immigration of your family members to the United States. This will enable you and your family to reunite.
- Since only US citizens can apply for federal government jobs, holding citizenship will make you eligible for these jobs.
- Citizens of the USA can enter or exit the country at their freewill,
- US citizens can exercise their right to vote in elections, as well as to contest for political positions.
- Only citizens of the United States of America can get government-funded financial aid like grants and scholarships.
- US government provides several benefits only to its citizens.
- Finally, you can hold US and Canadian citizenship without losing anyone of them.
How to become a US Citizen from Canada without a birth certificate
If you don’t have a birth certificate while being a US citizen, you can still apply for your citizenship under the following conditions.
Applying for citizenship as a US-born individual
The following are the documents required to apply for US citizenship when you do not have a birth certificate to demonstrate that you were born in the United States.
- A letter issued by the vital records office in the US state where your birth took place. Besides, the letter needs to feature your name, and the number of years they spent trying to find your birth certificate.
- You also need to contact the vital records office for Secondary Citizenship Evidence, which helps to prove your US citizenship.
Examples of these documents include a delayed birth certificate or a Letter of No Record.
Additionally, you need early public or private documents such as US census records, early school records, baptism certificates, family bible records, hospital birth certificates with baby’s footprints, or doctor’s records of post-natal care.
Applying for US citizenship as a Canada-born individual
If your parents are US citizens and they gave birth to you in Canada without registering your birth, you’re still eligible to apply for citizenship in the United States of America.
Here are the documents needed during the process.
- Your parents’ marriage certificate
- Proof of either or both of your parents’ citizenship in USA
- Your birth record in Canada, which must indicate your parents’ names
How to get dual Canadian American citizenship
It is without a doubt that citizens of Canada can possess American citizenship simultaneously without forfeiting one for the other. This refers to dual citizenship.
The embassy, consulate or consulate general of the US in Canada can surely help you in navigating all of its dual citizenship processes.
After applying successfully for the USA and Canada dual citizenship, you must always hold your American passport with you when travelling in or out of the USA.
Applying for US citizenship through naturalization
Indeed, you can become a citizen of the United States of America through naturalization. This involves the USA granting you citizenship.
Eligibility criteria to become a US citizen from Canada through naturalization
Below are the eligibility requirements to fulfil to become a citizen of the United States of America through naturalization.
- The current age must not be less than 18 years
- Must be proficient in the English language, i.e., in speaking, writing and reading
- Having good moral attributes is mandatory
- Must have possessed a Permanent Resident card, also known as Green Card for a minimum of five (5) years, or three (3) years in a situation where you’re applying as a spouse to a citizen.
You need to ensure that your Green Card is valid for the next six (6) months before filling out or completing your application for US citizenship.
Even if your Permanent Resident Card has expired but you’ve already applied for a new one, you’re still eligible to apply for US citizenship through naturalization.
This requires you to tender a photocopy of the Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card (Form I-90) receipt.
Steps to get US citizenship through naturalization
If you want to know how to become a US citizen from Canada via naturalization, you can explore the following steps to achieve your desire.
- Know your current citizenship status and eligibility for US citizenship
- Fill out, submit the Application for Naturalization (Form N-400), and pay fees
- Attend biometrics appointment (if required)
- Go for your interview
- Await decision from USCIS regarding your application
- Receive notification for the Oath of Allegiance, and take the oath
STEP 1: Know your current citizenship status and eligibility for US citizenship
As the first step to take on how to become a US citizen from Canada through naturalization, you have to ascertain whether your birth took place in Canada or USA, or if one of your parents is a US citizen.
If you found out that you aren’t a citizen of the US, you need to check your eligibility to immigrate to the United States through naturalization.
STEP 2: Fill out, submit Application for Naturalization (Form N-400), and pay fees
#2 on how to become a US citizen from Canada through naturalization is to complete Form N-400 online. You also have to gather all supporting documents to facilitate your US citizenship application.
Below is a list of these supporting documents.
- One (1) photocopy of your Permanent Resident Card (both sides)
- Proof of payment for application, as well as biometric services fees (money order or check)
- Two (2) colour passport-sized photos (if you live in Canada)
- Proof of present and past marital statuses such as your marriage certificate, divorce certificate, or death certificate of a late spouse
After gathering all of these documents, you can proceed to submit Form N-400.
STEP 3. Attend biometrics appointment (if required)
The next step is to attend your biometrics appointment when prompted by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
USCIS will inform you of the date, time, and place.
STEP 4: Go for your interview
As #4 out of the six (6) steps on how to become a US citizen from Canada via naturalization is to go for your interview with USCIS.
Ensure arriving at the venue at the stipulated time with your appointment notice.
STEP 5: Await a decision from USCIS regarding your application
At this time, you have to await a decision from USCIS on your application to become a US citizen through naturalization. The notification is accessible online only if applied online.
You’ll receive a decision showing a granted, continued (if required to submit more documents), or a denied application.
STEP 6: Receive notification for the Oath of Allegiance, and take the oath
As the final step on how to become a US citizen from Canada, you may need to partake in a naturalization ceremony, which occurs on your interview date.
Of course, USCIS will send you an email, which entails the date, time, and place where the ceremony will take place in case the naturalization ceremony won’t occur on the same day.
If you completed Form N-400 online, you’ll be able to access the notification electronically.
Afterwards, you need to attend the naturalization ceremony to take the Oath of Allegiance. Make sure you check your Certificate of Naturalization for errors before your departure.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the embassy of the US in Canada?
The embassy of the United States in Canada is located at 490 Sussex Drive, Ottawa, Ontario K1N 1G8, Canada.
What is the processing time to become a US citizen from Canada?
Through naturalization, it’ll take about 14 months to attain citizenship in the United States of America from Canada.
Can a Canadian be a dual citizen?
Of course, it is allowable for Canadians to be citizens of another country at the same time.
How do I replace my misplaced or stolen US citizenship or naturalization certificate?
If your US citizenship or naturalization certificate was misplaced or stolen, you can surely replace it by filling out Form N-565.
How hard is it to become a US citizen of Canada?
It is very easy to apply for USA citizenship from any province or territory in Canada.
In summary, both Canada and USA are among the most livable countries in the world. Getting dual citizenship in the two countries will be very beneficial no matter if you stay in US or Canada.
We hope that this article guides you rightfully on how to become a US citizen from Canada. Thanks for reading!